SubjectRe: Is anyone using EXT FS
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996 mrodin@imsa.edu wrote:

> > > Can we get rid of the ext fs?
> >
> > We can, but we shouldn't.
> >
> > The ext filesystem is useful as a reference, to show where ext2 came
> > from, and illustrate what to avoid when creating a filesystem.
> >

> that is true, but there is a question of whether every academically
> interesting or useful to kernel programmers should be included in the
> stable production kernel source.
> if linux is to be truly successful, there has to be some consideration of
> what actual users are interested in.
> and as interesting and useful as the ext fs may be from a programming
> perspective, the general public does not, in short, care.
>
> no one is suggesting that the ext fs should be thrown away permanently
> or any such nonsense. in fact, there is no reason why all the old kernel
> segments shouldn't still be available somewhere. but the source distribution
> doesn't need to include them all.

that's certainly true. just a year or so ago, the main source tree was
just over 2.3 MB. Now, in less than a year, and without even a new
"stable" release (e.g., a 1.4/2.0) it's ballooned up to over 4.3 MB.
That's close to double in just a year. I don't think even Winbloze grew
that fast. Maybe because we have a much more open development model, but
still...

I'm probably going to be lambasted for saying this, but... Is there a way
to start distributing modular pieces of the kernel source separately? I
know this puts a lot of work on Linus, but it makes it a more distributed
system. The "main" kernel code can be controlled by Linus, and any
modules can be distributed by their maintainers. Questions/patches have
to go to them anyway, right?

We could maybe have a "core" distribution of the main kernel code, and
if people want we can still have the "everything" distribution. Anyone
have any thoughts on this?

shag

Judd Bourgeois shagboy@thecia.net
Finger for PGP public key
There's a lost man with a bitter soul
For only a moment did life make him whole
And while he was, he thought he was invincible...
Matthew Sweet, "Smog Moon"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:1.153 / U:2.152 seconds]