    To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu@INTERNET; Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.
    de@INTERNET
    From: amsden+@andrew.cmu.edu@INTERNET on Wed, Mar 13, 1996 11:41 PM
    Subject: Re: scrollback and VT switching

    The scrollback buffer used is actually the video RAM. The scrollback works
    by changing the start position of the video screen. When you switch to
    another console, the video start position is set to the start of video RAM.
    This means you loose your old buffer. The only way around this would be to
    buffer the scrollback outside of video RAM. This would also allow
    scrollback capabilities on cards which don't support it in hardware.
    Unfortunately, this would consume more memory for a feature which IMHO is
    not all that useful - scrollback on current console is good enough. For a
    while I was thinking about writing a kernel patch to support scrollback on
    monochrome cards, and if I do this it would be easy enough to support
    scrollback buffering for all VC's with a CONFIG_SCROLLBACK option. If
    you're interested in this capability, let me know. If I get enough

    Cheers, :)

    Zachary R. Amsden
    amsden@andrew.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.026 / U:182.216 seconds]