    SubjectRe: random errors NFSROOT mount
    Date
    Hello,

    > I am trying to setup a PC as a diskless Linux machine, by booting a kernel
    > with NFSROOT enabled from floppy. I have configured the IP addresses with
    > Linux command line parameter NFSADDRS, and the root directory that should
    > be mounted with NFSROOT. This directory resides on an HP-UX box (HP-UX dutettf
    > A.09.01 A 9000/710), and the Linux kernel that is being booted is 1.3.71.
    >
    > Now this has worked a number of times, but more often not, and whether it works
    > or not seems not to be deterministic, at least on the face of it.
    > The error occuring is the server returning 'access denied' for the root
    > directory that is to be mounted. When I try to mount the same directory on the
    > same server from the same PC, but with PC-NFS under DOS, it works all the time.
    > This puzzles me.

    > It seems that in the mountd server log on the HP, some of the times that access
    > was denied, the name of the directory that had to be mounted is logged _with an
    > appended LF character_. But not every time. So possibly some mount-point-name
    > mangling is happening somewhere along the way???
    >
    > If anyone recognises what I am talking about, or has an idea of what is wrong,
    > or has a suggestion as to what I could try, please drop me a line.

    Well, it would be good to boot Linux from a floppy and try to mount the
    directory manually using the "mount" command in order to test if it's a bug
    in the NFSroot code or in the NFS implementation itself. It's also possible
    it's a bug in HP-UX.

    Martin Mares

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.022 / U:61.044 seconds]