SubjectRe: Linux VCR driver?
Date

> Well, first of all, the Exabyte 8mm drives ain't nothing but glorified
> VCRs with computer-controlled rewind/fast-forward/etc.

that's not true at all, they use almost completely different hardware.
while 8mm video does analog recording and thus has e.g. no read-after-write
check, 8mm exabytes do true digital recording and they have
read-after-write after write heads (even for the first EXB8200 drive)
which makes even the video head somewhat different, not to mention
the read/wirte amplifier and all the other electronics.

and (according to exabyte/sony) you shouldn't even use video-grade
cassettes for your data drive. while I never had any problems using
good video-grade tapes in exabyte drives one of the maybe more important
differences between video and data tapes is that for data tapes the
mechanical dimensions of the cardridges have to be a bit more preceise
than for video tapes. this seems to be important for some tape exchangers
or tape robots which have trouble with slightly ill-sized video tapes.

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.063 / U:0.816 seconds]