    SubjectRe: PNP patch into kernel when?

    > Before we (noticeable Linus) add yet another interface for device
    > allocation/registration to the kernel, I think we should try to look
    > at the needs for all the various architectures and try to specify a
    > common interface that is similar for all (bus)architectures. How does
    > the new PnP interface compare to the existing Zorro, SBUS and PCI
    > config interfaces?

    I have no idea, as I've never used them. The resource management API
    is very low level; it deals with IRQ, DMA, I/O, address, etc., allocation.
    Sitting on top of this is the _optional_ Plug-and-Play API, which is
    intended to handle any kind of device that requires resources (all
    devices require some sort of hardware resource).

    Hooks are already in place for: PnP-ISA, PnP-BIOS, PCI, PCMCIA,
    EISA, legacy (non-identifiable and/or non-configurable). Adding hooks
    for new device types is easily done. Also, stuff like devices
    on docking stations are supported.

    At the moment, the interface favours PnP-ISA/PnP-BIOS, but this is
    soon to change.

    > I see no reason to have N fundamentally different interfaces for this
    > if we can have one common interface. This will also be usefull if/when
    > we try to integrate/merge various drivers (for instance I dont see
    > much of a reason for having 7+ different Lance Ethernet drivers in the
    > kernel).

    This is exactly what the PnP API will hopefully achieve. A driver
    will ask for what devices are present, determine which ones it can handle,
    and request that the devices be configured and activated.

    Andrew E. Mileski
    Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project
    XFree86 Matrox Team

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:0.252 seconds]