    SubjectRe: Linux VCR driver?

    On 3 Dec 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

    > In, article <>,
    > Brent Glines <> writes:
    > >
    > > "There are controllers available for many PC's that allow a VCR to be
    > > used as a backup device. This is an inexpensive way to get a lot of
    > > backup capability on a PC. However, in order to utilize such a system,
    > > a device driver will have to be written..."
    > >
    > > I do not have a tape backup drive handy. I have several VCRs. Has
    > > anyone ever heard/done anything along these lines?
    > >
    > Don't.
    > There may be such beasts, but I wouldn't trust my data to them.
    > Better get a "real" computer tape drive.
    > Problems with these video beasts:
    > - No read-after-write, therefore no decent error control.
    > - The additional conversion to an analog video signal means that the speed
    > is nothing to speak of.
    > - No filemarks, i.e. one backup per tape.
    > - How do you push the rewind/play/record buttons with the computer?
    > - Timing of the signal (usually, parallel-port) is likely to be rather
    > critical -> writing a Linux driver is difficult at best.

    Ahh.. yes, but video has a lot of bandwidth. You could put a lot of info
    on them, everything could be recorded with error correction bits, and at a
    lower frequency than the actual spectrum allows. I'm sure it could make a
    fairly safe backup medium if you used the B/W (meaning video bandwitdth.)
    properly. Certainly no worse then any other form of tape backup.

    Although, it could certainly be difficult to have it control the VCR's
    play/rewind etc.. but did you ever use a VIC20? :-)

    "Press Play on tape.
    Searching... "

    (Yes it's cheap and dirty :)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:8.180 seconds]