SubjectRe: redistributing NFS drives....
On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Michael Boettger wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Could anyone help me with this problem..... TNX

[...]
> Problem:
>
> LAN A is a WIN NT based network with no access to LAN B.

Not no how, never, either way ? (or in english 'no direct access to or
from either side to the other ?' ;), if 'yes, no access either way',
compile the kernel _WITHOUT_ forwarding/firewalling, otherwise compile
with firewalling/forwarding, and learn how to use the firewalling tools...

> The Linux BOX should act as a gateway between LAN A and LAN B only for
> file exchangeing.
>
> The Linux BOX should mount some drives from machines on LAN B and
> redistribute them to LAN A (NT based network).

Hmm, NFS mount the UNIX boxes under linux, with the --re-export option to
nfsd(8) (not sure it's required, but...). Then export the nfs mounts
using smbfs (wfwg/lanman/WinNT/... use it for exporting filesystems, WinNT
less so I think).

> The only problem is, that there shouldn't be any NFS Client software
> running on the NT Machines, but the NT machines do have TCP/IP support.

Looks like that fits, IMHO. If anyone's got a better idea, just shout out

> Any ideas how to solve this problem ???
>
> Thnx
> Michael

Bryn

For more info on firewalls, see the Firewall-HOWTO at
'sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/' and all mirrors, or via html (I'm
guessing, so don't shoot me if the url is wrong) at
'http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/'

linux/Documentstion/filesystems/smbfs.txt sais (in the kernel source
tree):

smbfs is a filesystem which understands the SMB protocol. This is the
protocol Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT or Lan Manager use to talk
to each other. smbfs was inspired by samba, the program written by
Andrew Tridgell that turns any unix host into a file server for DOS or
Windows clients. See ftp://nimbus.anu.edu.au/pub/tridge/samba/ for
this interesting program suite and lots of more information on SMB and
NetBIOS over TCP/IP. There you also find explanation for concepts like
netbios name or share.

To use smbfs, you need a special mount program, which can be found in
the ksmbfs package, found on
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/smbfs.

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
| blank, apart from this text ;-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.032 / U:0.136 seconds]