    SubjectRe: Linux VCR driver?

    In, article <>,
    Brent Glines <> writes:
    > "There are controllers available for many PC's that allow a VCR to be
    > used as a backup device. This is an inexpensive way to get a lot of
    > backup capability on a PC. However, in order to utilize such a system,
    > a device driver will have to be written..."
    > I do not have a tape backup drive handy. I have several VCRs. Has
    > anyone ever heard/done anything along these lines?

    There may be such beasts, but I wouldn't trust my data to them.
    Better get a "real" computer tape drive.

    Problems with these video beasts:
    - No read-after-write, therefore no decent error control.
    - The additional conversion to an analog video signal means that the speed
    is nothing to speak of.
    - No filemarks, i.e. one backup per tape.
    - How do you push the rewind/play/record buttons with the computer?
    - Timing of the signal (usually, parallel-port) is likely to be rather
    critical -> writing a Linux driver is difficult at best.

    Sweeny's Law: The length of a progress report is inversly proportional to the
    ammount of progress.
    Matthias Urlichs \ noris network GmbH / Xlink-POP Nürnberg
    Schleiermacherstraße 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail:
    90491 Nürnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'ing
    PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE
    Click <A HREF="">here</A>. 42

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:1.848 seconds]