SubjectRe: Powersaving Monitor (DPMS)

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Dec 1996, Jason Burrell wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Of course, the monitor has a power switch, but I
> > don't really like reaching behind it all the time, and besides, the
> > blinking lights when in standby mode look cool. ;)
> >

> Ahh, ever seen a busy 5 port UTP hub ? 13 coloured LED's flashing away ...

Actually I have seen network hubs flashing away. ;) This monitor blinks
them in a centripetal sequence which is kind of interesting when it's the
only thing in the dark room at 2AM and you walk in, though. ;)

> > What I want is for the VC screen blanker to pop my monitor into standby
> > mode when it blanks the screen, and perhaps turn it "off" after 20
> > minutes. Then, when activity wakes the VC blanker up and it releases its
> > blank, it turns the monitor back on.
> >

> Well it's not a very good blanker in that it only has blanked, or not
> blanked ...

I was refering to maybe altering it to be "two stage," in that after it
blanks the first time it sets a memory flag, as I'm sure it already does.
When the timer expires again, it sets that flag (which would be two bits
at least) to something else. But really, such a thing is fairly pointless
considering the low power-up time of newer monitors.

> > I went into linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c, snipped the utility, and
> > tried to use it to perform the various functions. Nada. Nothing. I've
> > tried with APM enabled and disabled in the CMOS, and compiled the kernel
> > with and without APM support. If I have APM support compiled into the
> > kernel and APM support enabled in the CMOS, the Linux boot hoses with a
> > General Protection 000, and a message about the kernel stack.
> >

> Hmm, I get the impression your looking for instant results, it dosn't work
> like that. What the utility does is make the blanker drop which ever sync
> line you told it to (with the params). X is much better in that you can
> set timeouts for blank, sleep, suspend, and off ...

Actually, after I wrote this, I noted that something did pop the monitor
into standby mode after a fashion. Actually, after 20 minutes as I wanted
in the first place, if I remember.

Thanks for the clarification on this one.

> > I know the functions work with the hardware I have because Windoze 95 uses
> > them fine. The "suspend" option on the start menu suspends the machine,
> > and then, about two seconds later, drops the monitor into one of its
> > standby modes. I'm rather curious as to why Linux hoses the boot when APM
> > is enabled in the CMOS, too.
> >

> Most odd, is your hardware mentioned in the APM stuff as problematic ? It
> worked fine with my APM bios when I messed with it (tho why a PC that only
> takes AC should need an APM bios is beyond me ...)

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's my BIOS. I don't know why they included the APM
stuff in the system, unless it's to get the tree-hugger attracting "Green
PC" logo. The APM stuff working really isn't important, seeing as this is
an AC system, and even if I wanted to "save the planet," so to speak, I
assume enabling APM in the BIOS but not the kernel might work.

> > I'm perfectly willing to start hacking the kernel to get this to work like
> > it should, and willing to hack the VC screen blanker to behave as I
> > described, provided it's needed and that someone will point me towards the
> > DPMS spec.

Forget this comment of mine. Apparently, my brain was offline and I didn't
wait long enough after blanking. (My monitor takes a while. Seems to be a
design decision)

Merry (What's left of) Christmas ;)

--
Good government. Good government. Sit. Stay.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.039 / U:0.176 seconds]