SubjectOh yes it has (was: Kernel v1.2.13 won't compile)

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Mark Umbach wrote:

> I've tried to recompile my kernel for a couple of days now. I use the
> following commands from the /usr/src/linuxelf-1.2.13 directory.
>
> make mrproper
> make config
> make dep
> make clean
> make (at this point I have used zlilo, zImage, and vmlinux)
>
> each time I try these commands, the kernel does compile into a file
> named vmlinux in the current directory, with rwxr-xr-x rights on it.
> When I try to rerun lilo using this file as a kernel image it tells me
> "kernel /vmlinux too large" I need help with the make config so I can
> make it small enough to compile.

Well that's an old problem, you don't want to use the vmlinux, it's the
uncompressed version, use the zImage that used to be produced in the root
of the source tree, but is now placed in linux/arch/i386/boot for the
reasons that it's really as architecure dependant as you can get ....

> My current working kernel is /vmlinuz v1.2.13 and is 455802 bytes. It
> is compressed, and I would like to know how to create another compressed
> image out of a newly compile image.

Yep it's a zImage, just renamed to vmlinuz to fool you .... (the z insted
of an x is all important ;).

> Sam Umbach
> umbachm@potomac.net

Bryn
--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
| blank, apart from this text ;-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:2.292 / U:0.016 seconds]