    SubjectRe: Allowing users to set set[ug]id bits

    Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
    > From: (Marek Michalkiewicz)
    > Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:10:51 +0100 (MET)
    > BTW, the idea is not mine - SCO UNIX supports something like this, so
    > I thought it would be good to have that in Linux too (SCO sucks when
    > it comes to performance, but they have some nice security features;
    > I think we can have both performance and security). Quoting from the
    > SCO man page:
    > setpriv(S)
    > This is part of the POSIX.6 security specification, which is something
    > *additional* that you can layer on top of Linux. Note that it doesn't
    > turn completely destroy the ability to make setuid programs, but it
    > allows the system administrator to restrict (and many other things) on a
    > very fine-grained basis.

    It might also be considered as a pre-requisite for ever getting Linux to C2
    [See the *first* paragraph of the C2 discussion (paragraph in the
    Orange book: ].

    Best wishes

    PS. Personally, I like LD's remarks about an API+modular kernel approach to
    decisions of this sort. I could imagine a future in which you slot in your
    prefered module for D (for those that want security like that found in DOS)
    through C1-2, B1-2-3 or whatever you like....

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:4.552 seconds]