SubjectRe: Allowing users to set set[ug]id bits

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> From: (Marek Michalkiewicz)
> Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:10:51 +0100 (MET)
> BTW, the idea is not mine - SCO UNIX supports something like this, so
> I thought it would be good to have that in Linux too (SCO sucks when
> it comes to performance, but they have some nice security features;
> I think we can have both performance and security). Quoting from the
> SCO man page:
> setpriv(S)
> This is part of the POSIX.6 security specification, which is something
> *additional* that you can layer on top of Linux. Note that it doesn't
> turn completely destroy the ability to make setuid programs, but it
> allows the system administrator to restrict (and many other things) on a
> very fine-grained basis.

It might also be considered as a pre-requisite for ever getting Linux to C2
[See the *first* paragraph of the C2 discussion (paragraph in the
Orange book: ].

Best wishes

PS. Personally, I like LD's remarks about an API+modular kernel approach to
decisions of this sort. I could imagine a future in which you slot in your
prefered module for D (for those that want security like that found in DOS)
through C1-2, B1-2-3 or whatever you like....

 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.065 / U:0.132 seconds]