    SubjectRe: memory crash

    William Burrow <aa126@fan.nb.ca> writes:
    > > I have some questions:
    > > 1. Is it possible to set limits on accounts so that
    > > a. this kind of thing cannot be done ?
    >
    > Under certain circumstances, the shell gets swapped out to make space for
    > the offending program, and cannot be swapped back to enforce ulimits. So
    > ulimits won't work. (This is the case on my machine, when I thought I
    > would be so smart to setup the ulimits fairly conservatively)

    So use lshell, which does the setrlimit() and exits, leaving the kernel
    to deal with things. This should work. The code in kernel/sched.c
    seems to properly terminate a process which has exceeded its CPU
    limit. The code in mm/mmap.c and mm/mremap.c seem to properly enforce
    memory limits. If you think there is a kernel bug, post some code
    that can exceed its resource limits. If you don't think there is a
    kernel bug, move to comp.os.linux.setup or someplace else
    non-kernel-related.

    man 2 setrlimit for more info.

    lshell is in ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Admin/login/.

    Cordially,

    Sumner

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:1.060 seconds]