    SubjectRe: unusual startup messages
    On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Oskar Pearson wrote:

    > Will the kernel be maintained outside the US? Or will crypto code be
    > distributed as patches to the kernel? If the kernel is maintained from the
    > US, how do we deal with the brain-damaged export restrictions?

    On the Web page http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html I noticed the
    following, which seems to say that cryptographic software developed
    in the United States can be exported to Canada without restriction, and
    then exported from Canada, again without restriction. If this is correct,
    then a "Canadian connection" would be advantageous for Linux as well.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: There are a few issues relating to cryptographic
    software that everyone should be aware of:
    * The OpenBSD sources are from Canada. It is legal to export crypto
    software from Canada to the world.
    * However, if you are outside the USA or Canada, you should not
    fetch the cryptographic sections of the OpenBSD sources from an
    anoncvs server located in the USA. The files in question are...
    + src/kerberosIV/*
    + src/lib/libc/crypt/crypt.c
    + src/lib/libc/crypt/morecrypt.c
    Because of the USA ITAR munitions list, crypto software may only
    be exported to Canada from the USA.
    ___
    Trevor Johnson <trevor@csudh.edu>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:29.708 seconds]