SubjectRe: UID permissions mappings for "privileged ports" feature -- anybody done?
Date
> Seems to me it would be easy to make a simple switch statement for
> privileged ports which would allow a certain user to access a certain
> privileged port -- and only that user (even disallow root if specified) --
> that way it would be easier to set up well known services without having
> to sit there and set up suid bits, etc. for all the servers. This would
> be most useful for standalone servers such as web servers, etc.

Not a kernel issue: You can spawn such things from inetd or you can write
a setuid program that does

allocate socket
bind to priviledged port
drop priviledges
exec user program

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.102 / U:1.096 seconds]