    SubjectRe: time warps, I despair

    In article <>
    Ingo Molnar <> writes:

    IM> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >> So what's the effect? From time to time the clock offset jumps for
    >> some amount always less or equal to what's worth one tick (i.e.
    >> offset jumps around from -5ms to 5ms when synchronized). [...]
    IM> this could be caused by a 'lost jiffy'. Lost jiffy is a timer hardware
    IM> interrupt that misses us completely. Under normal hardware circumstances
    IM> (no APM, etc.), this is only possible if there is a cli()/sti() pair that
    IM> lasts for more than 10 millisec.
    IM> You can totally eliminate the Pentium stuff by turning APM support on in
    IM> the kernel (or commenting out the last few lines in time.c), thus the PIC
    IM> timer is used as high precision timing offset source.

    Sorry, but I think this is NOT only pentium related - It might be a more
    general problem!

    Ulrich's graphs show spike interval of 10-12 minutes if I read these graphs
    correctly. On my system I can see a similar spike interval of about
    120 minutes.

    My system is a i486-DX2/66 running on a ASUS-SP3G motherboard with
    xntpd-3.4z and linux 2.0.14. I see this anomaly for about two years
    now (since kernel 1.1.3x or so). Time source is a cheap DCF77 receiver
    on a serial port. Before you ask: There are no processes which runs every
    even hour like cron or so.

    - - Andreas

    Version: 2.6.2i

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Andreas Koppenhoefer, Student der Universitaet Stuttgart, BR Deutschland
    Franz-Schubert-Str. 2, 97616 Bad Neustadt; Phone +49 9771 7943, Fax/Data 7947
    <>; PGP-Key available at
    URL <>

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.026 / U:31.204 seconds]