    From: ink@inconnu.isu.edu (Inconnu)
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
    Subject: Re: 2.0.24 - Apache Dies?

    In article <55fsmi$83@tracy.nacs.net>, Greg Boehnlein <damin@nacs.net> wrote:
    ->I've just compiled a fresh 2.0.24 kernel on two extremely high volume web
    ->servers and I'm noticing that after a while, the Apache server (1.1.1)
    ->crashes and burns.

    Same here.

    ->All child servers die and a single server is left running that cannot be
    ->kill -9'ed, or destroyed in any other way than a reboot. This server ends
    ->up hogging the CPU.

    Exactly the same problem we have-- we do a lot of development with the
    server (testing out CGI perl programs) and it'll die within an hour;
    no explanation in the log files.

    ->Does anyone have a fix for this? Is it something that I should patch in
    ->Apache? Or is this a kernel bug.

    I orginally had a cron job go out and re-start the server every hour, but
    it was a bad idea since the system may crash inbetween; I gave up and
    put it under inetd and it works just fine (albeit SLOWLY)

    ->On a side note, on those machines running 2.0.24 netstat displays an
    ->inordinate amount of sockets in the CLOSE and CLOSE_WAIT states.

    It always does that-- I noticed problems when I upgraded to 2.0.23 and it
    still exists in 2.0.24
    --
    ink@inconnu.isu.edu (http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:0.244 seconds]