    SubjectRe: IPv6 and the "average user"
    Date

    Followup to: <199611261746.MAA15891@hcs.harvard.edu>
    By author: David Holland <dholland@hcs.harvard.edu>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > > Because of this, renumbering a network is a lot easier in IPv6 -
    > > each box *must* support being told their address by the router. At
    > > the router, just configure the new 80 bit prefix. The rest is
    > > automatic. (Well, if you do DNS, you'll have to change that, too.)
    >
    > Is it just me, or is this just asking for denial of service attacks?

    Also, it only works if you have one address per network interface!
    Fortunately, there are areas of IEEE link address space reserved for
    local use which are useful (in fact, any address with the multicast
    bit set (01:00:00:00:00:00) is pretty safe to assume won't be used to
    pick a *unicast* address...!)

    -hpa

    --
    This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this
    space has nothing but text explaining why this space would otherwise

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:32.748 seconds]