    SubjectRe: IPv6 and the "average user"

    On 20 Nov 1996, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > Followup to: <>
    > By author: Pedro Roque <>
    > In newsgroup:
    > >
    > > Which is quite natural as nobody in it's right mind would want to route
    > > variable length addresses. Variable length fields should only exist in
    > > data to be processed in slow paths. Anyway, 128 bits is more than enought
    > > for IPv6. Note that the 32 bits where a good choice for IPv4.

    Hey! I disagree. OSI variable-length addresses seem to work okay and
    have several useful properties that I don't see elsewhere.

    > Quite true, but the IPv6 address space is expected to be exhausted in
    > 30 years. The switch from IPv4 to IPv6 is going to be painful, but
    > that is nothing compared to what switching standard protocol stacks in
    > the late 2020's would be like...!

    There's one now. :-)

    Maybe this thread should move to another list/newsgroup/whatever.

    Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
    Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:121.544 seconds]