    SubjectEDO Memory Blues

    Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

    > I'm hoping that someone could clear something up for me. It is in
    > regards to memory. If you will remember, about 1 week ago I posted a
    > comment about my new ASUS and it's EDO ram that wouldn't work unless I
    > cut it in half with a mem=8m boot parameter. It was that letter that
    > sparked the thread on NMI/ECC.

    My 6x86 P150+ machine with (2) 16MB EDO SIMMs began exhibiting exactly
    the same symptoms - this is scary. I didn't even know anything was
    wrong until noticing 'top' reporting a low (read: factor of 0.5) figure
    for total memory. About 4 out of 5 times, Linux would think there was
    only a total of 16M installed. If I forced its hand with a boot-time
    commandline setting, things would almost work; but I'd see instant
    Signal 11 faults when running GCC.

    Replacing both modules with 16MB Fast-page (parity) SIMMs from another
    box cured the problem completely.

    > Well, I got replacement memory and sure enough, all works well.

    I returned mine to the vendor for replacement. If The Chip Merchant is
    what they're cracked up to be, I'm looking forward to the same
    experience. BTW, they've been a great outfit the couple of times I've
    dealt with them for sales.

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:5.226 / U:0.008 seconds]