SubjectRe: Mac-inations (was: SMB long filename support)

Vaguely off-topic, but amusing/interesting...

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Eric Hoeltzel wrote:

> Mac users who are complaining... (no kidding you say!)
This is what you get when you hide the entire workings of the system from
the luser. Complaints: "It doesn't work!" ;-)

> If I understand it correctly the Mac tries to copy the files from the
> network to the trash and then delete them from the network.
What it does is move the file into the 'Trash' folder, then when you
'take out the trash', it actually removes the files. The best way to see
this is to set up a Sysetm 7.x export on one Mac and mount it from
another. None of the hidden folders remain so, thus you can see 'Trash'.
Do stuff on the 'server' and watch it on the 'client'.

> Also, wherever the Mac user went on the NT filesystem, it left
> directories called .AppleDouble containing one 589 byte file called
> .Parent and I do not know what these are, other than annoying.
Hmm. Must be netatalk stuff. Looks like weird (linked-)list stuff,
maybe. Best to ignore them, unless you want to surf the code... ;-)

> And what the heck is an "error of type -50" ???
<sarcastic>Call Apple!</sarcastic> Seriously, there's a book called 'The
Dead Mac Scrolls' that might be of some use, though I don't know if it'll
do you any good with the lastest systems.

Good luck,
Omega

P.S. My MacinTrash roots are showing. Damn! Gotta keep those hidden!!!

Erik Walthinsen - Programmer, webmaster, 3D artist, etc. __
__ / /\
/ \ omega@sequent.com Work: (503)578-5314 / / \
| | M E G A omega@teleport.com Home: (503)281-4281 / / /\ \
_\ /_ psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu Majoring in CS / / /\ \ \
Omega Station: http://www.teleport.com/~omega/ /________\ \ \
Info on Linux, Graphics, Descent, Laptops, etc. \___________\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.042 / U:0.356 seconds]