    SubjectRe: Bugs and wishes in memory management area

    > Well the bug is about some modules failing loading with "unable to get
    > DMA memory". That makes modules unreliable. Of course I don't see
    > why modules are apparently using GFP_ATOMIC | GFP_DMA. When loading a
    > module I think we can swap.
    > No, you cannot page the memory a module uses. I leave the reader to
    > consider the monsterous races assosciated with a kernel that can page
    > itself.
    I think he meant, when loading modules we can swap other stuff out; I
    agree with you that, while a module occupies a page, that page is part of
    the kernel and therefore ought to not be swapped out... Mind you, this
    is a generalization (there are kernel pages which might be safely swapped
    out...but figuring out which they are isn't worth it.

    Disclaimer: Do not taunt Happy Fun God.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.016 / U:1.212 seconds]