SubjectRe: Bugs and wishes in memory management area

> Well the bug is about some modules failing loading with "unable to get
> DMA memory". That makes modules unreliable. Of course I don't see
> why modules are apparently using GFP_ATOMIC | GFP_DMA. When loading a
> module I think we can swap.
> No, you cannot page the memory a module uses. I leave the reader to
> consider the monsterous races assosciated with a kernel that can page
> itself.
I think he meant, when loading modules we can swap other stuff out; I
agree with you that, while a module occupies a page, that page is part of
the kernel and therefore ought to not be swapped out... Mind you, this
is a generalization (there are kernel pages which might be safely swapped
out...but figuring out which they are isn't worth it.

Keith

Disclaimer: Do not taunt Happy Fun God.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.093 / U:0.068 seconds]