    SubjectRe: Memory Trauam
    Date

    > So here's my dilemma: why didn't memtest 1.1 notice the bad ram? This
    > wasn't the type of problem that showed up intermittedly: after booting
    > my kernel INIT would ALWAYS fail.... ALWAYS. As would initrd.

    memset86 tests certain patterns. It can't test some things like memory
    that is only marginal enough to fail if a bus mastering DMA transfer
    (eg off a disk) and a main memory access arrive back to back in the right
    pattern.

    > I believe we should look into providing another tool for detecting
    > these errors. Not a part of the true kernel, but perhaps derived from
    > it. At least that way, hopefully, we can get consistent errors from
    > the kernel and memtest.

    Testing memory is a very very highly complex art. You can't do a real
    test on a board without a lot of advanced tools and circuitry, the
    processor unplugged etc.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:4.090 / U:1.544 seconds]