SubjectMemory Trauam

Folks -

I'm hoping that someone could clear something up for me. It is in
regards to memory. If you will remember, about 1 week ago I posted a
comment about my new ASUS and it's EDO ram that wouldn't work unless I
cut it in half with a mem=8m boot parameter. It was that letter that
sparked the thread on NMI/ECC.

Well, I got replacement memory and sure enough, all works well.

So here's my dilemma: why didn't memtest 1.1 notice the bad ram? This
wasn't the type of problem that showed up intermittedly: after booting
my kernel INIT would ALWAYS fail.... ALWAYS. As would initrd.

So what's the difference between how the real kernel accesses memory
and memtest? It seems that memtest isn't the checker it should
be. Many people on this list complain of bad ram, checked "OK" by
memtest but failing with the kernel.

I believe we should look into providing another tool for detecting
these errors. Not a part of the true kernel, but perhaps derived from
it. At least that way, hopefully, we can get consistent errors from
the kernel and memtest.

Just my $0.02 ....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.146 / U:23.644 seconds]