    SubjectRe: Memory Trauam

    On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Greg Alexander wrote:

    > You write something out, you read it back in, it's still in the
    > cache, so you're not actually ever reading from the SIMM again. There is
    > an instruction to clear the cache, but I don't know if it would be
    > implemented on all platforms because I really don't see the point in
    > having such an instruction. :)

    Well sometimes. Many caches are write-through, which solves a lot of
    problems. Some Cyrix chips can have write-behind enabled, but due to other
    hardware "bugs" (reserved word, normally used for software), many such
    systems fail when running multitasking operating systems.

    One thing is certainly true. Power-on-self-test and check-memory routines
    are just for "show". You could lean a lot more by seeing if the system
    boots and can then do something useful for several days.

    I designed the operating system for a CAT-Scanner. The "Program managers"
    insisted that, before anything useful is accomplished, a complete suite
    of test routines be run. I have never, ever, seen these routines report
    any errors. However, I have seen many systems fail because of errors that
    the test routines were designed to find!

    Dick Johnson
    Richard B. Johnson
    Project Engineer
    Analogic Corporation
    Voice : (508) 977-3000 ext. 3754
    Fax : (508) 532-6097
    Modem : (508) 977-6870
    Ftp :
    Email :,
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.11 on an i586 machine.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:10.084 seconds]