SubjectRe: News gateway problem
Date

> People that want replies can put their email address in their
> signature. I want the option to keep my email address off usenet,
> and the gateway won't let me have that.

not very kind to those people who want to reply and help the
original poster.

I have dealt with *many* such mails and postings for both XFree86 support
and answering tonns of news until this spring; mainly all due to ill-configured
mail/news tools from newbees.

and I can tell you it's a lot of work to figure out the correct email
address once a mail bounced and I had to lookup the signature etc.
of the original mail. beleave me, I wasn't very happy about such reports,
but I see only 2 possibilities

- not try to send a 2nd/3rd time (mad move at least for suppport requests,
even if it's "only" for a freeware project)

- sent more and more time for nuthing

comparing every mail header, signatures etc. before replying is no option
when you'd answer lots of mails every day!

> I do NOT want my email address in any header. I am getting
> way too much spam, all of it because of this list. What is
> the mailing list for? It is to hide from the usenet spam.
> If spam was OK, we would just use a newsgroup and spare vger.

while I can understand the reason it's the wrong way and it adds
work to people who don't have anything to do with the spam.
you're punishing the wrong then. pls rething your arguments...

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.061 / U:0.032 seconds]