    Subject2.0.25 Aiee via nfs

    Pulled a stupid move yesterday; consequences were worse than they should
    have been, IMHO:

    Stupid move was actually two dumb things:

    1. Machine B has a mounted directory from machine C but machine C's nfs
    daemon has been shut down. Command umount /mnt/C on machine B hangs and has
    to be aborted with control-C, after which mount still shows the C dir as
    mounted. (Seems to me that in the old (1.2.13) days, umount would work if
    this situation arose; unfortunately, I can't pin down the moment it changed;
    although I've run most of the kernels since 2.0, I don't make that mistake
    very often ;)

    2. Machine A has the root of machine B mounted; on A, user root cd's to /B
    and does tar -cv --exclude proc --exclude /mnt (sic) -f /dev/nst0 . which
    runs along and eventually, because of the spurious / in the --exclude
    parameter, tries to back up B's /mnt tree. When it gets to the missing
    directory on C tar hangs and has to be stopped with kill -9. Tar: release:
    kernel stack corrupted. Aiee. That, of course, was on machine A. On
    machine B, nfs is down; existing connections to B don't work ("... still
    trying") and new ones can't be made. Machine B is rebooted and all's well.

    Both A and B run 2.0.25.

    | G r e g L o u i s | pgp:email |
    | | id |
    | Is intolerance of intolerance | 77 0B 39 81 28 CE 7D D0 |
    | a desirable form of tolerance? | 4C 7A 6E CC E7 21 4C 55 |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:5.284 seconds]