    SubjectRe: Linux & ECC memory

    On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

    > This is what I'm curious about. Does Linux's NMI code attempt to work
    > around some memory problems, or does it just panic? Also, can the glue
    > report successful error-correction, as well as failed error-correction?
    > (Or is it not useful to know if your memory has/had an error that was
    > correctable?)

    Oh, yes, you can do strange and wonderful things with a properly
    instrumented architecture. You can keep stat.s and do failure-
    prediction, for example. Our VMS system here can patch out a bad section
    of memory, then dial the phone, send the "syndrome" data to Field
    Service, and request that they schedule a visit to replace the failing
    board (which has been called out automagically) before anybody here knows

    The real question is, what can we do with this sort of information in the
    free-software / no-support context? It could be fun to tinker with
    anyway, and maybe even profitable eventually, but somebody's gotta come
    up with a practical way to use it.

    Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
    Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.016 / U:2.868 seconds]