SubjectRe: 2.1.8 problems

Alain Knaff wrote:

> >[Serial problems with post 2.1.8 kernels]
>
> I have some input, which might interest you. Me too, I experienced
> serial problems in 2.1.9, and noticed that they were due to a mis-set
> UART type. The UART was correctly detected as a 16550A during
> boot-up, but then it was set to 16450 from /etc/rc.d/rc.serial
> (probably a left over from my previous modem). After I removed the
> offending line from rc.serial, all was fine and dandy again. Thus, at
> least some of the serial problems, maybe be due to a misconfigured
> UART type.
Unless 16550A's are somehow not backwards compatable, all this solution
suggests (besides the fact that people should check for serial
misconfiguration) is that something about serial handling got slowed
down or delayed severely...especially if input from a serial mouse was
dropped. Linux really ought to be able to handle 1200 bps without a
buffering UART, at least on a reasonably fast (20+ MHz) 386SX...

Keith

--
The priests and the friars/Behold me in dread
Because I still love you,/My love, and you're dead.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.074 / U:0.164 seconds]