SubjectRe: Oopses with 2.1.8

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Philip Blundell wrote:

> This may be entirely unrelated, but the first (and only, so far) time I
> tried a 2.1.8 kernel it locked the machine up solid in about 15 minutes.

More on this. I ran up 2.1.8 again, without X this time. After about 10
minutes the machine died with a constant stream of "Aiee, scheduling in
interrupt" messages. A PPP session was active at this stage, if that's
likely to be significant, and PPP was a module (which I loaded with
modules-2.1.8's insmod).

I hit the reset button and let the machine start again. This time,
though, it locked solid while running fsck (obviously, the previous sudden
reboot had left all the filesystems dirty). Again, the hard disk LED was
on. I gave up and went back to 2.1.7.

At the moment I'm compiling up 2.1.8 but with drivers/block from 2.1.7, in
hopes that this will make things better. I haven't tried 2.1.9, but I
_have_ looked at the patch, and it doesn't look like there's anything much
in there that's likely to help. I might give it a go later though.

phil

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.087 / U:0.040 seconds]