    SubjectRe: 2.0.25 - as errors STILL stop compile
    Date
    Albert Cahalan said this, and I just had to respond:

    > > I had this same problem with 2.7.2.1, and had to spend a huge
    > > amount of time reverting. This is such a fundamental problem
    > > that I'm really surprised that anyone has gotten it to work,
    > > much less is advising people to upgrade to it! Possibly it
    > > should have been marked as a beta version. Definitely it should
    > > not be required for new kernels. :/

    [...]
    > I'm sure I missed many things. It is best to install the new version
    > right on top of the old version - in /usr or /usr/local as needed.
    > (this stuff really belongs in /usr though)

    That's the problem; I unpacked right on top of my old gcc. Unfortunately
    for me, since gcc 2.7.2.1 was broken, I then had to spend a good half hour
    re-ftp'ing 2.7.2 and re-installing that. Blargh.

    > I'd also suggest upgradeing related things at the same time.
    > By that I mean libc, binutils, and ld.so. That might mean you
    > should wipe out /usr/include even. Be sure to do all the removals
    > before you start to add things back.

    Yes, they were upgraded previously. I still believe there is something
    wrong with the 2.7.2.1 binaries -- if they wish us to do other things
    besides detar them over the old version, they should include some
    documentation. (Actually they should do that anyway.) The only things
    on tsx-11 were the 2.7.2.1 binaries, and some very cryptically named
    2.7.2 binaries.

    Robey
    --
    Robey Pointer | "So that's what an invisible barrier
    robey@netcom.com | looks like." -Time Bandits

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:0.620 seconds]