SubjectRe: PPP and 2.0.24?? problems?
Date
I get the same behavior (quietly failing) when pppd is not run setuid root.
I fixed it (at least before I switched to Debian which works out of the
box, so I recommend that you install it) with the command:

chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

The other problem ("Sorry - this system lacks kernel PPP support") I have
experienced when pppd tries to start when the modem is already locked with
another pppd. This seems to be a cosmetic bug in either the kernel, or
pppd but I never bothered to find out which. This is a failure of either
pppd or the kernel to describe the actual problem, and instead defaulting
to the `lacks kernel PPP' message. I suspect it is a pppd problem though,
so you might try the ppp mailing list instead.
-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.et.byu.edu/~andersee/
2485 South State St. email: andersee@et.byu.edu

wojtowij wrote:

> I'm looking for a heads up on a problem i'm having with PPP and
> 2.0.24. I recently patched up from 2.0.21 and recompiled and
> I'm having problems using ppp on the 2.0.24 kernel.
>
> Here's a short description of the problem. After booting 2.0.24
> (with ppp compiled in, OR built as a module) I try to run setup a
> modem ppp link. I get the "Sorry - this system lacks kernel PPP support"
> message. HOWEVER if i run the pppd straight on one of the vt's i can
> watch it try to setup a ppp link. I kill the pppd process off and
> QUIETLY FAILS without the earlier message.
>
> Anyone else having this sort of problem? Did kernel changes break pppd?
> Or am I hallucinating?
>
> John

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.045 / U:13.788 seconds]