SubjectRe: unusual startup messages
>> ->one more question, is steganography and DES/IDEA crypt going to be
>> ->incorporated into the kernel in 2.1.x, or are there problems with having
>> ->cryptography in the kernel?
>> I don't think Linus is in favour this this.
>I think it's more of it's written in the US, and getting it in the kernel
>requires exporting it, which is illegal (tho reimplamenting it is legal,
>as is exporting a description of what needs doing, and I suspect that a
>patch is more than a description).

Hmmm.. I don't really get this bit of information. You're saying the kernel is
written in the US, which it's not, so that couldn't be a reason.

It's absolutely right though, that according to the ammunition law of the US,
the im- and export of DES encryption software, or DES encrypted data is
illegal, unless you have a good reason and a permit to do so. Building it in
the kernel isn't a problem, sending it to people in Europe isn't a problem
either, but people from the US, and Linus himself, would be prosecutable if
anyone downloaded that kernel that resides in the US. (Completely moronic laws?
Yes.. But it is no different)

(If this is what you were trying to say, my apologies :)

Mad.

-- All of this is my own opinion, etc, (sik)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.153 / U:0.304 seconds]