SubjectRe: Problem with 2.0.24 SCSI change
On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Chris Adams wrote:
> Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@dandelion.com> wrote:
> > From: Chris Adams <cadams@sh1.ro.com>
>
> > 2) Is there not a better way to get the order of multiple host adapters?
> >
> >Not at the present time. There's no consistency to the order in which a
> >motherboard's BIOS will install the BIOS extensions from the SCSI controllers.
> >I think we will eventually need to allow for explicitly specifying the probe
> >order.
>
> How hard would it be to add a kernel command line option? Something
> like "scsi-order=aic7xxx,eata-dma"? I understand that if you reorder
> some of the probes bad things will happen, but that could be checked
> for. That way it doesn't matter which way the kernel default is, I
> could put a line like the above in my lilo.conf and it would be
> automatic.

Yes, that can be implemted.

> I went through great pains trying to figure out how my Tomcat II
> motherboard decided which SCSI adapter to boot from. It tries to boot
> the same adapter it booted last time. I has installed the DPT first (to
> set up the RAID), and then installed the Adaptec. The only way I could
> figure out to make the system boot from the Adaptec was to remove the
> DPT, boot up once, and reinstall the DPT. Is there any way to tell
> which SCSI adapter booted the system?

What you can do is to check with controller has his address at a lower
address. That controller usually booted the machine. Maybe we can add a
field where the driver can put in the address and then decide on that the
order which contoller's devices get detected first.

Mike

Michael Neuffer i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net 14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2900 Beaverton, OR 97008

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.044 / U:0.500 seconds]