    SubjectRe: Core dumps & restarting
    On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Bradley M Keryan wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
    > I remember a program for the Amiga that would swap a process entirely into
    > a file on disk so that you could continue it later (even after a reboot)
    > but it had a lot of trouble with memory fragmentation. I think the only
    > times you could restore a process were after a fresh reboot (if you were
    > lucky) or right after you swapped it to disk, so it was not very useful.

    hmm, not very useful then :(

    > > > (Of course, real Linux users never reboot or shut down, except for a
    > > > hardware or kernel upgrade ;)
    > > >
    > > Don't forget power failure, and electrical storms ;)
    > > Bryn
    > One word: UPS.

    Several more: not enough money, I want a backup device first, and I'd want
    to unplug in an electrical storm anyway.

    > Brad Keryan

    Bryn
    --
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:125.584 seconds]