    SubjectRe: 2.1.6 preliminary report - followup
    More info...  Removing the PCMCIA Ethernet interface while running
    2.1.6 restores normal audio operation. No anomalies as far as
    choppy audio or audio/video sync problems noted.

    Here's where I don a sheepish grin... I've been running the
    Ethernet interface in promiscuous mode, and high traffic on the wire
    definitely impacts how well the audio drivers work. Can't prove that
    I was seeing similar/identical traffic loads on the Ethernet interface
    when I was running 2.1.5 vs. 2.1.6, but my gut feel is that there's
    more overhead associated with packet processing in 2.1.6. There's
    still the problem of the machine locking up when I remove the Ethernet
    card: a known workaround is to shutdown the PCMCIA card services
    before removing the card, but I don't have to do that under 2.1.5.

    At this point I think we have a problem best solved by an update
    to the PCMCIA card services package.

    Bob Tracy | "Computers save time like kudzu prevents
    AFIWC/AFCERT | soil erosion." -- Al Castanoli |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.016 / U:1.036 seconds]