    SubjectRe: Core dumps & restarting
    On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
    <SNIP>
    > Hmm, I'm suprised that other OS's can't do this (or can you keep a totally
    > swaped out process "running" over a reboot ?), I would have thought that
    > an OS that needs a 'shutdown -r now' in it's crontab to avoid running out
    > of memory due to leaks.
    I remember a program for the Amiga that would swap a process entirely into
    a file on disk so that you could continue it later (even after a reboot)
    but it had a lot of trouble with memory fragmentation. I think the only
    times you could restore a process were after a fresh reboot (if you were
    lucky) or right after you swapped it to disk, so it was not very useful.

    Also, I noticed last year on a system running Linux 1.2.1 that
    occasionally after the system crashed (the CPU fan burnt out, causing
    numerous random crashes before I discovered what was wrong), it seemed
    that some memory was paged in from the swapfile on the next reboot, as
    shown by some very informal testing during which I did something to the
    extent of "swapoff /dev/hdxx; mkswap /dev/hdxx; shutdown -r now".

    > > (Of course, real Linux users never reboot or shut down, except for a
    > > hardware or kernel upgrade ;)
    > >
    > Don't forget power failure, and electrical storms ;)
    > Bryn
    One word: UPS.

    > --
    > PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    > again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
    > / This space is intentionally left
    > | blank, apart from this text ;-)

    Brad Keryan | keryan@andrew.cmu.edu | http://fatale.res.cmu.edu/
    Vote for Satan! Why choose the lesser of evils?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:1.488 seconds]