    SubjectRe: Core dumps & restarting
    On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 psychos@xeo.net wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Eduardo Diaz Comellas wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I was wandering how to stop a process, reboot the machine, and
    > > restart that process. Is there a way to provoke a program to dump
    > > itself, and restart it after the reboot?
    > >
    > > Maybe we can define a new executable format for it to work ;-)
    > >
    > > Cheers!
    >
    > This would be practically impossible as you'd have to load the program
    > into the exact same memory space or all of its pointers would be bad...
    > Memory fragmentation issues would make it very hard to get any program to
    > occupy the exact same space it did before.
    >
    > The only way to really reload anything would be to dump the entire system
    > memory to a file and reload that. This could be useful if you wanted to do
    > something like boot into another operating system, or halt your computer
    > for whatever reason.
    > (Of course, real Linux users never reboot or shut down, except for a
    > hardware or kernel upgrade ;)

    Wouldn't it be nice to have a modular kernel so you could upgrade without
    rebooting. Then we'd never have to reboot
    if you just had a very small kerneld and only had to reboot for major
    changes =}

    --== Kernel Panic ==--
    --== SYS-ADMIN of Purplenet.net ==--
    --== Your GOD ... Your RULES ... ==--
    --== You burn in HELL ==--
    --== Key fingerprint = F98141B1EFBAE07A E21F90A4F300A696 ==--

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.023 / U:0.280 seconds]