    SubjectRe: Core dumps & restarting
    On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 psychos@xeo.net wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Eduardo Diaz Comellas wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I was wandering how to stop a process, reboot the machine, and
    > > restart that process. Is there a way to provoke a program to dump
    > > itself, and restart it after the reboot?
    > >
    > > Maybe we can define a new executable format for it to work ;-)
    > >
    > > Cheers!
    >
    > This would be practically impossible as you'd have to load the program
    > into the exact same memory space or all of its pointers would be bad...
    > Memory fragmentation issues would make it very hard to get any program to
    > occupy the exact same space it did before.

    Hmm, why is memory fragmentation a problem ? We're restoring after a
    reboot, the memory just got defraged, anyway is there any reason why we
    can't do a position independant coredump (in it's simplest form, subtract
    the lowest pointer/memory refrance from all the others, and just add any
    number to all values when it's restored) ?

    > The only way to really reload anything would be to dump the entire system
    > memory to a file and reload that. This could be useful if you wanted to do
    > something like boot into another operating system, or halt your computer
    > for whatever reason.

    Hmm, I'm suprised that other OS's can't do this (or can you keep a totally
    swaped out process "running" over a reboot ?), I would have thought that
    an OS that needs a 'shutdown -r now' in it's crontab to avoid running out
    of memory due to leaks.

    > (Of course, real Linux users never reboot or shut down, except for a
    > hardware or kernel upgrade ;)

    Don't forget power failure, and electrical storms ;)
    Bryn
    --
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.027 / U:30.224 seconds]