    SubjectRe: Memory upgrade: not faster / nfs
    On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Keith Rohrer wrote:

    > > I think there is some option that makes the compiler write out in bigger
    > > blocks, it's either a gcc option, or a rebuild the libc, and define this I
    > > can't rember which, but it was discussed on this list some time ago, so
    > > perhaps you should look in an archive for it (Looking at ld's man page,
    > > and info pages it's either quite obscure, or not part of ld ...).
    > Howsabout -pipe? Saves you all the intermediate files except the
    > .o's...and would cut those out too if it weren't for that "separate
    > compilation" thing.

    Well the kernel has that already, but I think ld writes each section in
    the binary in a differant write and so thats 19 in a single ELF binary I
    have here, and it's only 4963 bytes long (That's AFAIK tho).

    Oh, that option could be a compile time option of ld, it basically has the
    effect of coalescing (sp?) the writes,

    > Plus, ramdisks are your friend...a version of tmpfs
    > which doesn't crash the system for lack of memory when you cat /dev/zero
    > > /tmp/foo (or otherwise fill up /tmp) which could run in a ramdisk (which would be only one of the swap spaces) would do wonders for diskless systems...
    > Keith

    Hmm, I would have thought that this was a bad idea, unless you have loads
    of memory (remember he is also activly swaping over nfs too, so I think
    this is out).

    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
    / This space is intentionally left
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:12.652 seconds]