SubjectRe: Video scrolling (was: SMALL bug)
On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Chris Evans wrote:

> It seems to me that there are many such patches floating around, of the
> type "improve performance/features but only work on 90%+ of hardware".
> Obviously, we must keep the case where things work on ~100% of harware,
> including old and broken stuff.
>
> It would be nice, however, perhaps at the start of a make config, to be
> able to say "all my hardware is relatively new and standard", so that
> many people can pick up these enhancements.
>
> Chris.

Hmm, something like this:
*
* Broken Hardware support ...
*
Is you hardware is relatively new, and standard (CONFIG_GOOD_HW) [N/y/?]
Do you want to tune which is/are bad (CONFIG_GOOD_HW_NOTUNE) [N/y/?] y
*
* Ok, what's broken ?
*
Is your video card ok (CONFIG_GOOD_HW_VIDEO) [N/y/?]

And the help should say something allong the lines of:

Is you hardware is relitivly new, and standard
CONFIG_GOOD_HW
Well this adds support of optimized ways of accessing the hardware, that
should work just fine on 90% of the hardware out there, but will
proberbly fail on the other 10% (posabably totally, and proberbly
without dumping any debuging information). If your hardware is
relatively new, you can proberbly say yes. If you are unsure, (or saing
yes causes problems) it is always safe to say no.

Bryn
--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
| blank, apart from this text ;-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.242 / U:0.356 seconds]