SubjectRe: kernel bug -> security problem

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Philippe Strauss wrote:

> Shinanyaku wrote:
> >
> > Gary Schrock was heard saying ....
> > # And, apparently, not everyone is affected. I just went from 2.0.22 to
> > # 2.0.23 and still do not seem to have that bug:
> > #
> > # I'll attach my .config file for my linux kernel so that if anyone wants to
> > # look through it to see what's different between my configuration that
> >
> > # # CONFIG_FIREWALL is not set
> > # # CONFIG_NET_ALIAS is not set
> > # CONFIG_INET=3Dy
> > # # CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not set
> > # # CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
> > # # CONFIG_IP_ACCT is not set
> > #
> >
> > My configuration is almost identical to this one (and I suffered from
> > the bug) except for IP_FORWARD which I have enabled. Is there /ANY/
> > chance that might have something to do with it? (I'm pulling at
> > straws, here, I know).
> >
> > What about everyone else? If you are affected by this bug, do you have
> > IP_FORWARD enabled?
> >

> Yeap, i also have ip_forward enabled, and was crashable before patching.
> But don't forget that the ping bug in win95 seem to have disappeared
> in recent service pack. It seems that only plain old stock Wimps95
> have the overlong icmp packet bug.
>
> --
> Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont
>
> Email: <philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch>
> Homepage: http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch

Don't be so sure... I got the "Request timed out" when I tried pinging a
linux machine with a 65510 byte packet, but, when i triedto ping the
machine again with just "ping machine.ip.address", it was, SURE ENOUGH,
down.....

I tried this numerous times, and they ll went down.. Yes, I am using the
"latest" win95, with the service pack installed and everything....
just my 2 cents

-Rob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.050 / U:0.384 seconds]