    SubjectRe: kernel bug -> security problem

    On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Philippe Strauss wrote:

    > Shinanyaku wrote:
    > >
    > > Gary Schrock was heard saying ....
    > > # And, apparently, not everyone is affected. I just went from 2.0.22 to
    > > # 2.0.23 and still do not seem to have that bug:
    > > #
    > > # I'll attach my .config file for my linux kernel so that if anyone wants to
    > > # look through it to see what's different between my configuration that
    > >
    > > # # CONFIG_FIREWALL is not set
    > > # # CONFIG_NET_ALIAS is not set
    > > # CONFIG_INET=3Dy
    > > # # CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not set
    > > # # CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
    > > # # CONFIG_IP_ACCT is not set
    > > #
    > >
    > > My configuration is almost identical to this one (and I suffered from
    > > the bug) except for IP_FORWARD which I have enabled. Is there /ANY/
    > > chance that might have something to do with it? (I'm pulling at
    > > straws, here, I know).
    > >
    > > What about everyone else? If you are affected by this bug, do you have
    > > IP_FORWARD enabled?
    > >

    > Yeap, i also have ip_forward enabled, and was crashable before patching.
    > But don't forget that the ping bug in win95 seem to have disappeared
    > in recent service pack. It seems that only plain old stock Wimps95
    > have the overlong icmp packet bug.
    >
    > --
    > Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont
    >
    > Email: <philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch>
    > Homepage: http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch

    Don't be so sure... I got the "Request timed out" when I tried pinging a
    linux machine with a 65510 byte packet, but, when i triedto ping the
    machine again with just "ping machine.ip.address", it was, SURE ENOUGH,
    down.....

    I tried this numerous times, and they ll went down.. Yes, I am using the
    "latest" win95, with the service pack installed and everything....
    just my 2 cents

    -Rob

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.020 / U:59.628 seconds]