    SubjectRe: Win95 partitions
    In article <Pine.SUN.3.95.961025022903.19124A-100000@jupiter.cc.gettysburg.edu>,
    Charlie Ross <Charles.A.Ross@cc.gettysburg.edu> wrote:
    >I dont know if anyone cares, but I agree with this totally, I am using
    >win95 and linux side by side, and it seems that the vfat code could replace
    >the fat code... Or am I wrong?
    >
    >Shouldn't vfat kind of be a superset of fat?
    >it fat cant read vfats long names, but vfat should read fats long names...

    There are people who do not use Windows 95 but do use msdos, and they have
    no desire to load additional code for features they don't need or use.
    The vfat code is not a superset of the fat code. On the contrary, the
    vfat code makes use of the fat code by calling it directory. The vfat
    code is just a filename handler. All operations on the structure of
    the filesystem are still handled in the fat code.

    ---
    Gordon Chaffee
    chaffee@bugs-bunny.cs.berkeley.edu
    http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:2.356 seconds]