    SubjectRe: syslog spiral death
    On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 ron@caldera.com wrote:
    > > [... syslog slows down lots with masive (>8Gb) logs ...]
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > I've seen a similar problem also. Running strace showed that syslogd
    > was doing fsync() quite often. As the log files grow, fsync() takes
    > longer and longer to complete. I don't know whether to consider this
    > an inefficiency in the fsync() implementation or poor behavior on the
    > part of syslogd for calling fsync() so often...

    Hmm, would you call it a bad implamentation if it didn't fsync() often
    (ie that copy of the panic made it to syslog, even into the logs, but it
    wasn't written to disk ....) ?
    > We avoid this problem
    > by keeping our log files trimmed (via chklogs).
    >
    > Ron

    You (Tony) could try putting the sync bit on the directory, or just the
    file ie:
    # chattr +S /var/log

    > --
    > Ron Holt <ron@caldera.com> Caldera, Inc.

    Bryn
    --
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.