SubjectRe: "raw" block devices?
Date
On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 19:10:53 +0100 (MET), Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at> wrote:
[...]
>[yes, raw devices are a hack, still RDBMS ppl use it because:]
>
>one not-so obvious problem is that an RDBMS >has< to implement a
>write-cache for itself. Thus if the block device would be buffered too (in
>the kernel), then we had double buffering. [as it is buffered now]
>
>The kernel write cache spontanously writes data to the device, and this is
>not good for an RDBMS: it has to be sure that the cached data first
>touches the log, then only the actual database. If the kernel provided
>such a functionality, then RDBMSs could efficiently use the kernel
>buffering.

So, I guess the question is: if *you* were writing a RDBMS, what
features would you like to have in your block device to make your
job easier? Then, (assuming you can do this The Right Way), make
them an option or something in Linux...

Bruce
--
You are the lens of the world:
the lens through which the world may become aware of itself.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.032 / U:1.516 seconds]