    SubjectRe: [linux-security] Re: t bit and symlinks patch
    Andrew Tridgell wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    > > Nice idea. IMHO however the fix is to stop people writing applications
    > > that use /tmp for everything. /tmp was a great idea once upon a time. Its
    > > value nowdays is a bit questionable. Better that daemons use /var/run
    > > and applications $HOME/.files
    > I generally agree, its just that I think its hard to actually change
    > all those programs (and programmers) out there that use /tmp.
    > I also think that the change does in fact breath new life into
    > /tmp. Are there any /tmp related security holes that it doesn't fix?
    > There probably are some, its just that I can't think of them right
    > now.
    > Anyway, I've updated my patch slightly. I changed it so that symlinks
    > owned by root are not affected. This is safe and means it breaks less
    > things.
    > With my original patch I found that one thing broke on my mail
    > server. I had a link called "tridge" owned by root in /var/spool/mail
    > that pointed to /home/tridge/InBox (due to a transition in mailer
    > behaviour). I also had /var/spool/mail world writeable with the t bit
    > set. My original patch meant I couldn't run programs that referenced
    > /var/spool/mail/tridge.
    > This is now the active bit of the patch:
    > if (S_ISLNK(inode->i_mode) && (dir->i_mode & S_ISVTX) &&
    > inode->i_uid != 0 &&
    > current->fsuid != inode->i_uid) {
    > iput(dir);
    > iput(inode);
    > *res_inode = NULL;
    > return -EPERM;
    > }

    I apologize if my comment is incorrect, but as I understand, you do
    the following: if the directory has bit 't' set and the user does not
    own the file that the symlink points to, your patch does not allow to
    follow the symlink.

    Suppose that I am a hacker on a system with your patch applied. Suppose
    my goal is to create a symlink from /tmp/abc to /.rhosts (for example).
    That is, I would like to

    $ ln -fs /.rhosts /tmp/abc

    Since you do not allow me to do that, I do the following:

    $ ln -fs /.rhosts $HOME/xyz
    $ ln -fs $HOME/xyz /tmp/abc

    Wouldn't that fool your function?

    > the full patch is available from
    > Cheers, Andrew

    - Igor.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.025 / U:67.828 seconds]